About Our Program
At present, the Religious Education program of Our Lady of Hope serves students in grades Kindergarten through Grade 8. All families are invited to attend the 9:30 am Family Mass, which features the Children’s Choir, under the direction of Mr. Larry Abels and Ms. Stephanie Evangelista. Students then process over to the school for instruction.
Registration takes place during the first two weeks of June, and again during the first week of September. You need to bring your child’s Baptismal certificate with you to registration. Classes begin on Catechetical Sunday (usually the 3rd Sunday) in September and end in May. Classes begin at 10:30am and dismiss at 12:10 pm. Students enter the school through the parking lot entrance and are dismissed into the gymnasium. Kindergarten students are brought directly to the classroom by their parents, while Grade 5 – 8 students walk to their class. All other grades (1-4) line up in the cafeteria. All students are brought to the auditorium for dismissal by their teachers.
- Sunday School Fee is $125 per family.
- Kindergarten is offered but is NOT mandatory.
- There is a two-year requirement in order for students to be able to receive the Sacraments. First grade is required in order for the boys and girls to receive Reconciliation and Holy Eucharist in 2nd Grade.
- There is a separate fee for the Sacrament preparation: $60 for students receiving Reconciliation and Holy Eucharist; Confirmation is received in 8th Grade. There is a $125 fee for students receiving Confirmation
- Eighth grade students will follow a specialized schedule in order to prepare for the sacrament of Confirmation.
- There are 3 absences allowed for the year. Please provide a doctor’s note if your child misses a class.
Director of Religious Education
Mrs. Karen Colletti (718) 335-8394
Mrs. Colletti’s office is on the 2nd Floor and the office staff is in the Faculty Room on the 2nd Floor. The office is generally closed on Fridays.
Our Parish uses the Sadlier We Believe series. Each grade covers a different theme in the child’s Faith Formation:
K- Discovering God’s Love
1- God Loves Us
2- Jesus Shares God’s Life
3- We Are the Church
4- God’s Law Guides Us
5- We Meet Jesus in the Sacraments
6- We Are God’s People
7- We Live Our Faith as Disciples of Jesus and The Spirit Sets Us Free
8. PROXIMATE PREPARATION CLASSES FOR CONFIRMATION